Healthy versions of your favorite junk foods can be great alternatives to the real deal. When it comes to indulging in the real thing, however, it’s always good to know the nutrition content. Halloween candy is no different so we ranked your favorite treats from least to most healthiest.
INSIDER spoke with registered dietitian Lisa DeFazio about how best to rank the sweets. She agreed that the sugar, calories, and fat are the best numbers to look at to determine how "healthy" these candies are.
We then did some investigative reporting: going to grocery store after grocery store to read the nutrition labels on the most common Halloween treats. We then compared the information for one serving size of either the fun, snack, or mini size available for each of your favorite sweets. It's also important to note that this ranking doesn't consider other relevant factors like sodium, protein, and fiber.
When it comes to making the healthiest candy choices, DeFazio recommended going for candies that have low to no fat. Typically, that means fruit-flavored hard or chewy treats.
See where your favorite chocolate, gummy, and hard candies rank below.
10. Snack Size Kit Kat: 140 calories, 14 grams of sugar, 7 grams of total fat
9. Fun Size Skittles: 190 calories, 34 grams of sugar, 2 grams of total fat
8. Brach's Candy Corn Treat Packs: 150 calories, 31 grams of sugar, 0 grams of total fat
7. Tootsie Roll Snack Bar: 120 calories, 17 grams of sugar, 2.5 grams of total fat
6. Mini Pack Starburst Original: 150 calories, 28 grams of sugar, 2 grams of total fat
5. Laffy Taffy Mini Bar: 140 calories, 19 grams of sugar, 2 grams of total fat
4. Airheads Mini Bars: 140 calories, 19 grams of sugar, 1.5 grams of total fat
3. Treat Size Sour Patch Kids: 120 calories, 22 grams of sugar, 0 grams of total fat
2. Classic Tootsie Pop: 60 calories, 11 grams of sugar, 0 grams of total fat
1. Smarties: 25 calories, 6 grams of sugar, 0 grams of total fat
In case you're wondering, Plain M&Ms ranked at 15, Snickers at 16, and Reese's was 21. Very last on the list at 22? Twix.
Click here to see how other candies ranked.